You may have heard that there are changes to superannuation taking effect on 1 July, including new contribution limits. That means you only have a short period of time left to consider if there is any action you should take to make the most of current super rules or to comply with the changes.
New super and tax thresholds from 1 July 2017
The ATO has released the superannuation and tax thresholds for the 2017/18 financial year. We compare the current and new thresholds in the table below.
|Transfer balance cap||n/a||$1.6m|
|Concessional cap||$30,000 / $35,000*||$25,000|
|Non-concessional cap||$180,000 / $540,000||$100,000 / $300,000^|
|Low rate cap||$195,000||$200,000|
|Untaxed plan cap||$1.415m||$1.445m|
|Co-contribution||$36,021 / $51,021||$36,813 / $51,813|
|SG quarterly contribution base||$51,620||$52,760|
|Employment termination payment (life/death)||$195,000||$200,000|
|Tax free redundancy||$9,936 / $4,969||$10,155 / $5,078|
* $35,000 cap available in 2016/17 where you are aged 50+ as at 30 June 2017.
^ A transitional cap applies if the 3 year cap was triggered in 2015/16 or 2016/17. The ability to use these caps depends on total super balance as at 30 June 2017.
Take action now!
- Talk to us about whether your current financial plan is geared towards the upcoming changes, or if it needs reviewing.
- Review your contribution strategy and consider if there is an opportunity for you to take advantage of the larger concessional and non-concessional caps for 2016/17.
- Consider if you want to defer termination of employment (where possible) until after 1 July 2017 to potentially take advantage of:
- Increased employment termination payment cap
- Increased tax-free portion of redundancy
- Abolition of 10% test to allow personal deductible contributions.
Want to know more?
It’s always a good idea to review your financial situation and savings plan before new legislation comes into place. Get in touch with us to discuss if these changes will have an impact on your financial plan and what you can do now to reduce any negative impacts.
*Austbrokers Financial Solutions (SYD) Pty Ltd is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Millennium3 Financial Services Pty Ltd ABN 61 094 529 987 AFSL 244252
The information provided in this document is general information only and does not constitute personal advice. It has been prepared without taking into account any of your individual objectives, financial solutions or needs. Before acting on this information you should consider its appropriateness, having regard to your own objectives, financial situation and needs. You should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statements and seek personal advice from a qualified financial adviser. Millennium3 Financial Services Pty Ltd ABN 61 094 529 987 AFSL 244252. From time to time we may send you informative updates and details of the range of services we can provide. If you no longer want to receive this information please contact our office to opt out.